The UCT English Language Centre (ELC) is located within the vibrant Faculty of Humanities at the University of Cape Town – the premiere university in Africa. We offer a range of English courses, as well as accredited teacher training courses. All our English teachers are highly qualified in the field of EFL and have many years of experience.
Located on UCT’s Hiddingh campus in the city bowl, we are in the heart of the city – a short walk from Cape Town’s vibrant cultural and historic centre, with easy access to the beaches and local attractions.
As a UCT student, you will be able to participate in university life and culture and to take part in social activities, sports clubs and other societies. You will also be able to join a fun and diverse weekly social programme at ELC where you can meet other students from around the world and explore Cape Town together!
Why choose us?
- UCT is consistently ranked as the premier university in Africa.
- We are one of the only South African universities with a centre dedicated to teaching English as a Foreign Language.
- All our teachers are highly qualified and experienced.
- We adhere to rigorous academic standards and institutional quality assurance processes.
- Our dedicated team will help you navigate your visa application and any extensions with ease.
- Our unique learner-centred approach puts students at the heart of everything we do.
- You will be part of the University’s diverse community of international students.
- The UCT English Language Centre is located in the magnificent heritage buildings on Hiddingh Campus, in the heart of Cape Town.
- As a registered UCT student, you will have access to the University’s services and facilities such as the free Wi-Fi across all campuses, a free bus service, libraries, computer laboratories, and membership to over 100 sports and social clubs.
All courses available as standard, semi intensive or intensive.
- General English (6 levels)
- IELTS & TOEFL Exam preparation
- English for Academic Purposes (EAP)
- Business English
Students can start on any Monday and study for as many weeks or months as they wish.
CAE & FCE Exam preparation
Three courses per year with fixed start and end dates.
Closed Group Courses
We offer group courses for groups of 10 or more people. These can either be combined with existing general English or exam training, or tailor-made to suit the demands of the group for the duration of their stay in Cape Town.
Our self-catering student residence is a 5 minute walk from the school. It is located in the city centre and is close to banks, restaurants, shops and nightlife. Rooms are private with private bathrooms. There is a communal kitchen, dining room and lounge.
Students can share a house with a local family, couple or single person and practice the English learnt at school in a real life environment, and gain an insight into South African life. There are a number of homestay options available to suit diverse requirements and budgets.
Contact UCT English Language Centre
Location: Cape Town
Address: Rosedale Building, UCT Hiddingh Campus, 32-37 Orange Street, Cape Town